Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Ski Sundown

  Today Justin, my mom, and I set out to Ski Sundown in New Hartford. Both of them have skied before but it has been a while. At least thirty years for my mom and a few for Justin. I, however, was a first timer. Of course I don't have the proper ski clothes so I tried to layer as much as possible. I wore pajama pants, then jeans, and another pair of pants on top of those. I will admit to you that two things. 1) For the first time in my life I kind of looked like I had a butt and 2) With all those layers my legs rubbed together and I understood chaffing. I also learned that no matter how many layers you have on, your hands are going to freeze. A twenty five minute drive from our house, past my favorite Connecticut river and adorable new england houses and we were there.


  We headed straight for the bunny hill.  It did not take long for the chair lift workers to tell it was my first time.  I got and when it was time for me to get off at the top of the hill, I couldn't get off.  I was headed back down but the nice guy stopped the chair lift and helped me off.  "Is this your first time", he says.  Uh yeah.  Justin was waiting for me at the top and started teaching me how to ski.  I have been practicing skiing on the Wii Fit and honestly did not think it was going to be that difficult.  I was wrong.  I fell so many times and am already bruised.  Who knows how sore I'll be when I wake up tomorrow.  I would get going and freak out that I was going so fast but I don't know how to stop myself so I would just fall.  Despite Justin's efforts of teaching me how to stop he ended up just standing a little ways down the hill and I would ski into him to stop myself.  The going fast and having no control over stopping myself really scared me.  Meanwhile my mother was just cruising past us, getting back on the lift and passing us over and over again.  She did awesome!  It took me about an hour to go down the hill and when I got there I was over it.  I couldn't feel my fingers anymore (it was 15 degrees out) and the idea of getting back on the chair lift was not happening.


  My mom and I headed to the warm lodge where we found hot chocolate, a snack, and a window seat to watch Justin and all the other skiers tackle the difficult slopes.  I have to say I liked that part much better.  I may try it again on a warmer day but it is definitely not my new favorite hobby.  It was a fun day of memory making nonetheless.

I am really excited about the new section on my blog that features my favorite blogs.  I check these blogs almost everyday and I hope you enjoy them as well : )

Keep you posted,

<3 L

No comments:

Post a Comment